Thursday, July 5, 2007

"Ya Betta Check Reality!"

This post is brought to you by Young Jeezy!

I was slapped in the face with a dose reality today! This morning I'm driving to work listening to The Steve Harvey Morning Show (my new fav!), as usual, when this commercial comes on. Now normally I change the station when commercials come on but for some reason I choose to listen this time (and I'm glad I did). So you will never guess what this commercial was advertising (well really advising)...HIV MEDICATION!!!

Can you even believe it?!?! It was two young African-American males infected with HIV discussing their daily medicine routine. The basic message was if you have the virus under control, you might be able to decrease the number of times you have to take your meds a day (instead of twice a day, you can take them once a day).

This was a reality check for me because it shows just how prevalent HIV & AIDS are among African Americans. Think about it! Now there are commercials about HIV between Tylenol & Always advertisements! THIS IS SO NOT OKAY!!! But then again maybe this is the up-front, in-your-face type of approach we need! I know it will make me think twice about sex and protection.

So ladies & gentlemen, think about this commercial next time you're preparing to do the do! Protect your partner and (more importantly) yourself! If he/she isn't willing to use protection LET IT GO! It's not that crucial! Love yourself more than you love the feeling! Let's not allow this virus to take us out! Let's not make anymore excuses! We know it's out there and it's up to us to protect ourselves and each other! Go to the nearest drug store, the nurse's office on campus, or even the free clinic and WRAP IT UP!!! GET TESTED!!!

Smooches Lovers!

P.S. On a lighter note, do you know what song the title of this post came from? Think about it. Still stuck? It's from T.I.'s I'm Straight on his King cd featuring B.G. & Jeezy!

No comments: